While door to door solicitation is legal, residents should be wary and keep the following in mind
- Any person engaging in sales or solicitation door to door must obtain a permit from the City. If anyone attempts to sell a product or service to you (e.g. a new electric supplier) without a permit you should ask them to leave and call the police on their non-emergency number 815-544-2135.
- If you do not wish to receive any door to door salespersons, you can place a “No Trespassing” sign in a conspicuous location on your property. If anyone attempts sales, ignoring the sign, you should ask them to leave and call the police on their non-emergency number 815-544-2135. Further, you are not required to answer a door. If you do not recognize an individual at your door it is often best not to answer the door.
- If anyone on your property makes you uncomfortable you should ask them to leave. If they do not immediately leave you should call the police. Do not confront them on your own.
- You should NEVER share any personal information with any door to door solicitor until you have verified their authenticity and elected to purchase their goods or services. This includes, but is not limited to, copies of existing utility bills, bank account information and credit card information. The City of Belvidere does not partner with any commercial organization and never authorizes any door to door salesperson to demand or request personal information.
- The City of Belvidere recommends that you refrain from making any agreement or signing any document with a door to door salesperson. If you are interested in their product or service, the City recommends that you simply ask for information and a phone number that you can call if you are interested.
- Never invite a door to door sales person into your home.